Friday, October 15, 2010

Monthly Question--What could you live without?

Our question this month is--"What art supply or tool seemed like a good idea but rarely if ever gets used?"

Robin:

A painting teacher of mine used a projector for easily getting her sketches or photos drawn onto canvas. I couldn't resist picking one up with my 40% off Michaels coupon, but several years later, it's still in the box. It always seems easier to do the sketch myself than to figure out how to use the projector.



Lorraine:

It seemed like a good idea at the time: carving tools to use in carving my own stamps... do I even use stamps??? Yikes.


Carol:

The one thing I could live without is a harder question than I thought. Probably because it's buried now by the things I do use and I've forgotten I have it. One item I can think of are the small packages of origami paper. I love them with all the pretty colors and patterns. Pretty papers always call to me and they are hard to resist. I always think I'll use them in some project but it hasn't happened. Perhaps it's a good time to challenge myself and incorporate them into a new book project?


Marilyn:

My Cuttlebug device. Haven't even opened it yet. I have a new paper cutter and a little sewing machine I haven't opened yet either. And don't even ask me about small kitchen appliances. I'd think I'm a hoarder, but I can get around my house unimpeded, and I actually have three unused shelves still. (small)

Sue:

I don't seem to use my big canvas's.


Tory:

I had to look around and think hard for this one I’m not a person that as I call it “accessorizes” with tools and gadgets.

The one thing that was a waste of money to me ….pre-mixed spritz bottles of some kind of glittery paint sold in scrap book stores. They cost more than $4 or $5 each, and I could have mixed my own in a 59 cent bottle. Yes what was I thinking?

Suzie:

Scrap book paper. I feel like a magpie collecting pretty things but never using them. I’d rather make my own decorative papers . . . so why do I always do a drive by at the paper isle?

Lenall:

I'm one of those people that can see the opportunity in most things. In the past, I have bought projects on impulse and have never done anything with them. One that comes to mind is lightweight metal sheets and a "how to" book to do repousee work with. I saw it at a stamp convention and just thought it was the coolest thing. I also have a framing gun for wood frames and a air compresser for air painting that I am sure I will not ever do. Anyone interested in any of these things?

There are a lot of things I'd like to try, but I have come to a place where I have decided that I can't keep adding on. I want to work more in the mediums I have honed.


Tammy:

I purchased a felting machine in the height of the wool felting frenzy. It sits under the table, gathering dust. Maybe I can gather up the dust and felt it into something, a dust bunny perhaps!!

No comments: