Friday, July 22, 2011

Monthly Question--Favorite Quotation?

Since many of us use quotations in our artwork or journals, this month's question is "What is your current favorite quotation?"

Sue:


"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."


Suzie:


"Don’t believe everything you think."


Lenall:


"A candle loses nothing by lighting another."


Dayna:

I love quotes and I love incorporating quotes into my journal pages. Sometimes I use word fragments from quotes or lines of poetry, sometimes it is a full quote, other times I record overhead snippets of conversations. Here are three spreads from my visual journal using word fragments, a quote by John Updike, and a quote I heard my husband's receptionist say to a co-worker. Can you figure out which is which?






Cynthia:


"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience"


Tory:


Right now my favorite is “I’m so far behind I think I’m first” it makes me laugh and then I remember it’s ok to go slow.

This is one of my favorite art quotes “What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit.” ~John Updike ~ For me if I didn’t have art I think I could not breathe and my soul would choke.

Suzanne:

This has long been one of my favorite quotes:


"When we say "I surrender" and we relinquish control and let the universe take the lead and we follow, the dance of life becomes effortless. Spiritually, surrender is a mark of strength and not a moment of weakness". Helen White.

It often comes to mind when things aren't working out the way I think they should, and reminds me that sometimes it's best to let go and be open to other outcomes.


Robin:


My favorite is probably the most boring in some ways, but it's in my head a lot. "Just Do It." I love the utter simplicity of that and think of it whenever I get whiny or start procrastinating.


I love quotations and often embroider them into my fabric work. Here're a couple favorites:



Z'Anne:


“Every step we take towards making the State the caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our master.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jill:

I love ," Finished is better than perfect" (thanks for reminding me Cynthia ) and

"Money and art are far apart."


Judi:


"If all you got is a hairpin, you take a hairpin and you start digging." A woman quoted in the book "Feminine Face of God"---Judi

Marilyn:

"Ah, that's the reason a bird can sing, On his darkest day he believes in spring" D. Malloch


Part of a short poem. Last line actually.


No comments: