Saturday, January 28, 2012

winter warmth

It's a great time to whip up some quilts and other things to keep you warm and cozy over these winter months. In keeping with my own intentions to make quilts this year, I just finished this one to keep on the couch at home. The narrow vertical strips are made of linen scraps; they seem to go well with the colorful print and batik pieces.

This is the first time I've done a pieced back, which really adds a lot of interest to a quilt.

If you're not a quilter, there are other ways to create wonderful coverlets. Around the holidays, I picked up some wool yardage at the Pendleton Woolen Mill in Portland and made 2 blankets for my big kids. If you live in the area, the store is a great place to find the famous woolen goods, some at bargain prices. They also sell beautiful felt binding by the yard, and will give you nifty Pendleton labels to sew into your projects.

2 comments:

Z'anne said...

Beautifully done, Suzanne! What a great idea to keep cabin fever at bay. I love your color combinations and a strip quilt is something even I could do!

Suzie said...

I love how you said "whip up" Suzanne! You must have a very different relationship with your sewing machine than I do! Mine is more like a wrestling match!

Beautiful.